April 24, 2010

Scout Show

Brent found that there would be a Scout Show at the National Western Stock Show Complex on Saturday.  Since the weather was cool and windy, we decided to head out to scout it out.  Yes, you may commence the groaning over the obvious pun usage.

Brendan's been talking about becoming a Cub Scout since the beginning of the school year and we thought this would be a good opportunity to let him get a taste of what it's about. 

He really enjoyed climbing into the CAT equipment and honking the horn.  Really enjoyed it.  And the horn was loud.  Really loud.  I think this was a Multi-Terrain Loader ~ then again, what do I know about that?
Then he took off on the obstacle course. He was so fast that I couldn't catch a good picture of him.  It was cute, they had a tunnel made out of cardboard boxes, crab walking, a balance beam, running through tires, a medicine ball handoff (that he quickly learned was not meant to be dribbled ~ ha!), this jump-roping and answering a trivia question.
Then he practiced rowing in a canoe ~ yes, I did tell him that I thought he should have put on one of the life jackets.  He informed me, in a rather straightforward manner, that there was no water.
They had a large model train area and this really cool area made out of LEGOs.  As you can imagine, if you've ever met my son, this was a big hit.
He even had an opportunity to try out lacrosse with the Denver Outlaws.  He was quite good.  Brent learned that they will be having a Faith Day this year so we may plan to take in a game during the season.
Finally, Brendan had a chance to experience a touch of archeology.  He enjoyed sifting through the sand and drawing what he found.  All in all a good day out for the Belfields!

No comments: