February 16, 2010

Blogging ~ One year at a time?... part 2

Thanks to everyone I heard from regarding my post from Sunday.  It's easier for me to keep this updated when I know that SOMEONE is out there reading/enjoying/seeing it!  (ps. there is a Comment button below ~ I'd love to hear what you have to say...  hint, hint...)

Today Brent is back at work after a three-day weekend (which we looooove) and Brendan is enjoying the last day of his four-day weekend (which we do not looooove quite as much).  Brendan's friend Jaden is here for a playdate this morning and Emery is enjoying her musical toy so I find myself with a moment for more updates from last year...

June
4th ~ Kindergarten field trip to the zoo.  Brendan's the cute kid in front ~ demolishing his visor...

5th ~ Field Day at school.  Potato sack races, scissor walking, parachute playing, obstacle course navigating, dunk tank...ing, pinata hitting, foot racing fun!  And of course we ended the day by meeting Daddy for lunch.  Life is good, indeed!

6th ~ Jaden's birthday party.  Superhero alert!

8th ~ Red Rocks with Matt and Maria.  My cousin Matt and his wonderful wife came to visit and we went to Red Rocks for a picnic and little hike and then to the Coors brewery.  (I'm sure it's fun when you're not pregnant, too.  Oh!  Baby bump alert!!!)

13th ~ Brendan's birthday party.  Star Wars: Clone Wars.  Happy happy boy!

14th ~ Sunshine and Sprinklers.

15th ~ Kindergarten graduation.  sniff, sniff, tear, tear.  "What do you want to be when you graduate?"  'An actor.'  That might be just what he needs to get over his stage fright...  Here's a picture of my boy and the BEST Kindergarten teacher he could have had.

17th ~ Brendan's 6th birthday.  I'm not sure how that happened because he's still my baby but there's certainly no better way for him to celebrate than by swimming and then enjoying a cupcake that is as big as his head!  (Thanks, Nana!)

21st ~ Father's Day.  This year we celebrated by Brent enjoying breakfast in bed and then a family trip to Coors Field to watch the Rockies.  Brendan even actually watched some of the game.  Honestly, it's days like this that remind me how good I've got it!

24th ~ South Dakota bound!  We drove to Rapid City on our voyage to see the Big Heads.  On the way we stopped at Carhenge.  You've got to see it!  (But to be honest, there's not a whole lot else to see in Western Nebraska...)

25th ~ Day 1 in South Dakota.  First we visited Bear Country USA.  Here are some of the animals we saw:

Arctic Wolf

Black Bear

Grizzly Bear

Baby Bears

We also visited the Cosmos Mystery Area on the 25th.  It was relatively entertaining but overall I think the Mystery may be how they've stayed in business.


Then it was on to the Presidents Alpine Slide and the Lincoln Borglum Museum before we headed to the Heads.   


We took about a million pictures at Mt. Rushmore but I'll save you the boredom (is it too late?) and only post my favorite three shots.

26th ~ Day 2 in South Dakota.  Visit to the Flintstones in Bedrock City.  Because we love our son.  Really.  There's no other reason to visit this place.  But Brendan loved it so much that he thought we drove all the way to South Dakota just to visit it.  Seriously.  He told me just the other day (8 months later) that he wishes we lived in South Dakota so he could go there all the time.  I'm just sayin'.  He even just saw me posting pictures and said "I like that place.  I want to go there so bad."

Then we drove by the Crazy Horse Memorial.  A friend suggested that we might see enough of it by simply driving by it.  She was right.

Next we experienced a cave tour at Rushmore Caves.  Definitely recommend this one!  Brent, our resident claustrophobe, even enjoyed it!

We drove back to Rapid City during a rain storm and caught these pics on the way.

27th ~ Day 3 of South Dakota.  Our first visit was to the Chapel in the Hills in Rapid City.  Grandma Van's mom was named Lena so I just had to take a picture of the statue.  The chapel and surroundings are beautiful and the prayer walk is quite lovely.  I don't think they intended for kids to walk up to the statues but I couldn't resist capturing this sweet moment.  The sign says "Pray for World Peace".

Our final next stop was Storybook Island, a free children's park in Rapid City.

More to come soon!






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the road trip story and the pictures of Brendan celebrating his birthday.