August 11, 2010

Off to Neder Nederland

The temperature was rising in Denver so I decided to take the kidlets up to the hills to Nederland.  Yep, home of Frozen Dead Guy Days.  We decided to go to Kathmandu for lunch instead...   Brendan made friends with the owner's son and they enjoyed playing while Emery and I enjoyed a leisurely lunch and a chat with the locals.
As we were walking from the restaurant to the carousel, Emery said her first word.  DaDa.  Clear as a bell.  Brendan and I were so excited.  I cried ~ a little.  Brendan cheered ~ a lot.  We hoped that she might spontaneously share her new words with Brent when he got home but she didn't so Brendan got to tell him.  Proud Daddys are fun to see!

And then to The Carousel of Happiness.  I read about this carousel this spring and was very excited to pay it a visit.
They have a great little puppet show area with a view of the carousel from above.  Brendan loved the opportunity to put on a puppet show for his adoring mother and sister ~ and a few random appreciative children ~ but I couldn't get a decent photograph.  *tear* 
This was a lovely tribute to two fallen Marines:

What does it mean to remember these two fallen Marines
and honored friends in the house of a carousel,
amid all the people laughing and smiling?
These two, Christian and Paul, also laugh and smile still
in the hearts of many, and mine.
~ Scott Harrison
She looks so serious...
Smile
Flying pig...
Christmoose
Frog wearing a watch and holding a beachball... of course...
Such a cute... albeit odd... town
Of course we took the opportunity to find another letterbox, too!  This one was at a nice little spot along Boulder Creek.
All this and we still had time to head to "Back To School Night" where we learned that Brendan's second grade teacher will be Ms. Estey!  We're all so excited for a wonderful year!

No comments: