May 20, 2010

Sleep Returns...

Emery has never been a "good" daytime sleeper but I was able to forgive her since she had been sleeping beautifully (and I mean beautifully) since she was about 8 weeks old.  I must admit that I did often dream of getting all kinds of household chores accomplished while she dozed in her crib but I was selflessly (ha!) able to forgive her for not giving me that.

Then, about early April, she stopped sleeping through the night.  Then she started waking every two hours at night.  And still not sleeping during the day.  Have I mentioned how much I love sleep?  How I've prided myself (yes, I see the demise here...) on how both of my children love sleep and how blessed we've been? 

Then came my friend Monica.  She and I meet regularly to chat, study, grow and to drink coffee.  On this Thursday, she came over to the house and asked about Emery's sleep ~ or lack thereof.  Emery was obviously very sleepy and I decided that maybe if I put her in the playpen in the living room that she might just fall asleep.  For at least 5 minutes, maybe. 

Emery fought it.  Fought.  Cried.  Screamed.  Fussed.  And Monica talked with me.  Told me that Em sounded so tired.  Told me about how she handled her babies' sleep patterns.  She pointed out when Em really sounded like she was about to give in. 

And then Monica prayed for us.  For God to give Emery some peace ~ just a moment, perhaps ~ just to know what His peace felt like.  And you know what?  Emery stopped crying.  Silence.  Just for a moment.  An immediate answer to prayer.  A reminder that He's always there for us, always listening.  And a reminder that He cares about my darling Bean and her sleep.  And that's when my tears came.  He is good.  All the time.

Here's some evidence of how Emery fought with the blankets in the playpen.
Showing off some of that newfound indepence. 
Hanging out with the coolest brother ever!
Too bad they don't look anything alike...
I LOVE this picture!  From Brendan's calm face, smoothing her hair to Emery's pursed little lips. 
Think she's asking if I'm going to make her take a nap again? 
I should say that I'm not getting around to posting this until the end of June and Emery has been sleeping beautifully again since May 20th.  Thank you God ~ and thank you Monica for taking the time to spend with me.

No comments: